History

Poquoson is the oldest continuously named city in Virginia. The term "poquoson" was used to describe a boundary line between 2 elevated tracts of land. Such a boundary contained a stream, river, or creek with its adjoining marsh which lay between 2 tracts of higher ground. Poquoson was used as a common noun and is found in many deeds along the eastern seaboard. Through the years the term became a proper noun for the land that lies between 2 such poquosons - the Old Poquoson River and the New Poquoson River.

The first mention of Poquoson was in Captain Christopher Calthrope land grant issued by a court in Elizabeth City on April 26, 1631. Three years later the Poquoson Parish was named as a beneficiary in the will of Benjamin Symms for "a free school to educate and teach the children of Elizabeth City and Poquoson." This New Poquoson Parish originally included the areas known today as Poquoson, Tabb, Grafton, Dare, and Seaford.

The southern portion of the Poquoson District in York County was incorporated in 1952 to retain control over its schools. The city form of government was adopted in 1975. Mrs. Carroll Lee (Peggy) Moore III is the designer of the City logo. Her entry was judged the best in a contest during the National Bicentennial Celebration.

Did you Know
  • That Poquoson Avenue was called "the path to the church."(Church meaning the Old Charles Parish Church that was located in Tabb.)
  • That corduroy roads (boards laid side by side) were chic in the 1920's.
  • That on May 16, 1958, Wayne Martin, pitcher of the home team "Yankees" threw the first pitch to start organized Little League Baseball in the town of Poquoson. The Yankees, coached by John "Tiny" Firth and Everette "Big Penny" Martin, won by scoring 7 runs in the bottom of the 5th inning to beat the braves 7-6. Martin was the winning pitcher.
  • That the first movie theater in Poquoson was located at 1279 Poquoson Avenue and was affectionately known as the "Thimble"
  • That the first telephone service was operated by Mr. Joe Moore from his home at 767 Poquoson Avenue. He kept the lines and telephone in repair. Most of the phones were primarily located in business establishments and the children of the proprietors often acted as "messengers" to deliver messages to the residents in their respective areas. Since all incoming calls rang on every phone, you only answered when your particular ring was heard, e.g., one short and two longs or two shorts and one long.
  • That Forrest Road used to be "Barrel Factory Road."
  • That Hudgins Road used to be "Billy Goat Road."
  • That before it was Hunt's Point it was Phettyplace Cloyse's Point.
  • That Wythe Creek Road was called "The New Road."
Weston Cemetery
Traditionally called "Western," however, deeds show that William Weston sold additional property to the cemetery on the condition that it be named "Weston." Situated originally on Parsons land, it contains some of the earliest marked graves in Poquoson, including one believed to be that of Martha Holloway Parsons, who died in 1798. This rough field stone marker inscribed "MP - 1798" has now vanished.

Messick Point
This point was named in the early land grants as "Boar Quarter Point." Around 1800, when Zadock Messick came down the Bay from Maryland's Eastern Shore, he established a home and a business on the point. It then became known as "Messick's Point" and the whole general area became the Messick Post Office district. It is now a significant part of Poquoson's seafood industry.