This employment page will be updated when job openings for the City of Poquoson are available. The City of Poquoson's application can be downloaded here. Completed applications may be returned by:
mail: City Manager's Office, 500 City Hall Ave, Poquoson, VA 23662
in person: City Manager's Office, 500 City Hall Ave, Poquoson, VA 23662
Starting annual salary $30,258 or higher depending on experience and qualifications. Must be able to lift heavy objects, work in all types of weather conditions. Position is to maintain and repair underground sewer lines and sewer lift stations. Must have or be able to obtain a Virginia Commercial Driver’s License and 2-4 months trade(s) experience and/or training. Excellent fringe benefits. Applications, which can be downloaded from this webpage, will be accepted until 4:30 p.m., October 9, 2015 in the City Manager’s Office located at 500 City Hall Avenue, Ste. 234, Poquoson, VA. Applications and a complete job description may be obtained on-line or by calling the City Manager’s Office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, EOE
Part-Time Library Assistant
Permanent part-time Library Assistant, 20 hours per week, $12.90 per hour. Performs clerical and paraprofessional duties in the City Library. Starting October 26, 2015. Excellent communication, computer and customer service skills needed. Some weekend and evening hours. Associate/Technical degree and experience working with the public. Applications will be accepted until October 9, 2015.
Newport News Regional Animal Shelter Open
The Newport News Regional Animal Shelter has 1 part-time position that is now open. You may see the job listing and download an employment application from the City of Newport News website.
Equipment Operator I
Starting salary, $28,246 or higher depending on experience. Must operate a variety of heavy equipment, work in all weather conditions and have or be able to obtain a Class A CDL. A City of Poquoson application is required (may be downloaded above) and must be submitted to the City Manager’s Office, 500 City Hall Avenue, Ste. 234, Poquoson, VA, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. of 4:30, M-F. The position is open until filled. To obtain a detailed job description, please contact the City Manager’s Office at (757) 868-3000. EOE
Gym Supervisor Position- Community Recreation, Poquoson Parks and Recreation
- Provides customer service, direct leadership, and supervision of the sports leagues and practices at School facilities and fields as directed.
- Open/close and supervise gym facilities.
- Enforce facility rules, and playing rules with patrons
- Provides for a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Maintains and operates the proper use of equipment and supplies by participants for a variety of sports.
- Completes and maintains proper forms, reports, and information for staff.
- Enforces facility, equipment, and program rules and regulations, taking appropriate disciplinary action with participants when necessary.
- Administer first-aid, if necessary
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to Provide program set-up and take-down
- Knowledge of basketball and/or volleyball league rules and equipment and other sports as needed.
- Ability to keep score and clock for basketball.
- Present a neat and professional appearance and attitude.
- Able to diffuse conflict effectively when necessary.
- Prefer training in First Aid and CPR training.
- Work effectively and communicate with the public, supervisor, and fellow employees.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds. employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be available: Hours are Monday-Friday 5pm-10pm
Saturdays 8-9pm and Sunday 12-9pm
- Hours are seasonal and part time. No benefits.
Rate $7.50 position is seasonal, part time.
Position Open Until Filled.
Complete Application and Return to Poquoson Parks and Recreation
830 Poquoson Ave. 868-3580