The Building Official's office is responsible for inspections and permit compliance. The department ensures the proper use of buildings; protects the health, safety and welfare of Poquoson residents from hazards associated with faulty construction; and monitors and enforces property maintenance for the City.
Becoming a Licensed Contractor
State Licenses (For Contractors & Tradesmen)
- Class A: Unrestricted in the dollar amount of contracts they may complete
- Class B: Can perform work on or manage projects up to $120,000 per project or $750,000 annually
- Class C: Can perform work on or manage projects that are greater in value that $1,000 (but not more than $10,000) but not more than $150,000 yearly
State licensing is administered by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation. For additional information and testing forms, visit the DPOR website. No exam required for Class C; however, electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors are not eligible for Class C and must hold either a Class B or A.
- The Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC), 2012 Edition effective July 14, 2014
- The International Code Council Family of Codes (I-Codes) (ICC), 2012 Edition
Permits & Inspections
All of the following permits may be downloaded and uploaded through the new Permit Portal.
- Building/Zoning Permit (PDF)
- Driveway Permit
- Electrical Permit (PDF) and inspection
- Land Disturbing Permit
- Mechanical Permit (PDF) and inspection
- Mobile Home Permit
- Plumbing Permit (PDF) and inspection
- Right-of-Way Permit (PDF)
- Sign Permit: Yard Sales-Political Signs
- Agreement-in-Lieu of Stormwater Management for Single Family Residential Development
- Elevation Certificate and Instructions