City of Poquoson Annual Municipal Separate Storm Water Sewer System Permit
The City’s storm water permit is issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia, as part of its Virginia Pollution Discharge Elimination System work. Local government permits are issued for a five year period. Each year Poquoson and other permitted localities submit an annual report to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. Poquoson also provides a PROGRAM PLAN that describes what work the City will perform in the upcoming year to meet permit requirements.
Comments and questions on the annual permit are welcome. Give the engineering department a call at (757)868-3025 or email us at email@example.com if you'd like to ask a question or provide comment on the program plan and permit.
What Citizens Can Do To Improve Water Quality
Brochures are available at City Hall that provide details on what you can do on your property to help the Bay and improve our rivers and streams. Being a good steward of the Bay does not end at your property line. Here are some other ideas:
- Dispose of pet waste in a trash receptacle. Animal waste is a major source of bacteria, and proper disposal can make a huge difference.
- Think twice before you feed that bird! Goose droppings are a major problem in some areas.
- Our rivers and the Bay would be much cleaner if the only thing in storm drainage systems was rain water. It is illegal to dump grass clippings, yard wastes, trash, oil, grease and other materials in storm drainage systems. If you have a question, or see something dumped into the drainage system that does not belong there, contact Public Works at 757-868-3590 or Engineering at 757-868-3025. We’ll be glad to help.
- If you’re thinking of a new home improvement project, try to reduce rooftop or paved surfaces. These are major sources of pollution. Less paved or roofed area also means less storm water runoff.
- If you have a septic tank, remember that you are required by state law to pump it out at least once every five years.
- Look for information or participate in a clean water event. Check out City Hall, the City website, and the library for information on water quality and upcoming events.
- Check out the annual Poquoson Seafood Festival for information and to celebrate life on the Bay.
- VAR040024 Plan Approval final
- 2016-2017 Annual Report Part 1
- 2016-2017 Annual Report Part 2
- 2016-2017 Annual Report Part 3
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan
- 2017-2018 Permit Program Plan
- 2017-2018 MS4 Permit Annual Report
- 2017-2018 MS4 Permit Annual Report Appendix Part 1 of 2
- 2017-2018 MS4 Permit Annual Report Appendix Part 2 of 2
- 2019-2020 MS4 Permit Program Plan
- MS4 Outfall Table
- MS4 Outfall Map 1
- MS4 Outfall Map 2
- MS4 Outfall Map 3
- 2018 - 2019 MS4 Annual Report 1 of 3
- 2018-2019 MS4 Annual Report 2 of 3
- 2018-2019 MS4 Annual Report 3 of 3
- 2018-2023 Chesapeake Bay TMDL Action Plan